Good question. I know a lot of people have files in that format, and gathering the other information would require some time and effort. My original thought of having the files named the way I described above was to keep the quality high, by making sure they were complete. You know, quality over quantity. However, I understand that a lot of people don't want to spend the time fixing all of their files to include this information, and because of that they will not get uploaded, and ultimately not shared.

So, I ask: how do you all think this should be handled; Any suggestions?

My thought was to require users to create a directory under their user directory named "incomplete," which they could then upload all files that are missing fields to. For now, they would just sit in the directories and remain incomplete. However, when the site goes live it will have the functionality to accept incomplete submissions and allow other users to submit changes/additions, and allow a select few (read: admins) to edit and verify the data before allowing the file to be available for download. The only thing I would ask is that the file names still conform to the naming standards, even if there are fields missing. If a field is missing, simply type out the name of the field; enter [Album] for a missing album name (for example), [####] for a missing year, or [##] for a missing track number. Still a significant amount of work, I know. Having the person submitting it do that saves me a lot of work on this side, though. The user might only have to rename a few hundred files, which sounds like a lot, but when you realize that I'd have to rename a few hundred from each user you see how fast it can add up. Am I being too exigent about this? Please feel free to express your opinion or suggestion(s).
ricin.us