Come on, man... let's have that joke already!

Aliens in their flying saucer look down and see a man in a rowboat on a small lake. He's real happy, singing "Rowin' my boat across the lake. Rowin' my boat across the lake..." so they beam him up, do a little poking and prodding, and decide to try an experiment: they remove 1/4 of his brain, return him to his boat, and watch to see how his behavior changes.

The man looks around, picks up the oars, and starts singing, "Rowin' my boat across the lake. Rowin' my boat across the lake...". This lack of change in behavior puzzles the aliens, so they beam him back aboard, remove another 1/4 of his brain, and put him back in the boat, confident he'll behave differently now with only half his brain left.

The man looks around, picks up the oars, and starts singing, "Rowin' my boat across the lake. Rowin' my boat across the lake...". Now the aliens are getting ticked off, and they pick him up again, take out still another quarter of his brain. They're sure that with only a quarter of his brain left, he'll act differently. And sure enough -- he sits in his boat for a moment, then takes out his cell phone, dials... "Mega-Dittos, Rush, I'm a first time caller...."

tanstaafl.