Okay, finally got my hands on an MKIIa, now for the installation questions. I bought the truck off the lot, so it came with a factory am/fm cassette, 4-speaker system (non-amplified). The premium system has spaces for seven speaker locations. The 6X9's in the doors have to be replaced with 6.5's, becuase the auto window gear mechanism would interfere with most aftermarket 6X9's. There are 5.25's in the rear panels, which I'll be replacing with the same size. There are spaces on the dash for 3.5's, and a center 2.5.

So, what I'm thinking, is that I'll need an amplifier (obviously), to run the 6.5's, 5.25's, and new 3.5's in the dash. I'm leaning towards getting a sub, but I'm not into the huge competition bass, and I don't have a lot of room (looking at 8"). The room issue also comes into play with the amp. I'm considering a 5-channel at the moment, running the 3.5's and 6.5's with the front, the 5.25's with the rear, and the sub on the fifth channel. I'm not extremely experienced with amplifier operation or installation, so I'll probably have that done by a professional.

THE SUB - As I said, I'm looking to get a smaller sub, only to fill out the sound range, not for super bass. There will be times, however, that I would like to have a little thump. I listen to basically every kind of music, rap to bluegrass to classical to alternative (no opera, I guess). I am wanting this install to be as stealth as possible, not trying to advertise a system for stealing. I've looked at JL Audio Stealthboxes that replace the center seat with a downfiring 10", and are covered with the factory upholstery. The problem (along with the price tag) is that it was designed for 2001 and below Rams, that don't have a storage compartment under the seat. Basically, I'm kind of strapped for room. I travel quite a bit, so I need the space behind the seats. I've thought about putting the sub and the amp under the seats. But, under the driver's seat are power seat components. Under the passenger seat is the jack. If any of you are familiar with the Ram, there is a decently sized storage compartment under the center seat. I've contemplated placing the amp in the compartment and the sub behind the center console. I'm not sure of amp dimensions, so as of right now, I'm assuming the amp won't fit and I'm thinking of taking up a project to fiberglass a custom sub box for an 8" sub in the center storage compartment. Again, this is something I've never done, but I've found plenty of info on it. There are a few questions I have about the sub firing upward into the seat (no one ever sits there) because the seat is latched to the compartment, and I'm worried about rattles and such. Should I be? If the amp would fit in the compartment space, it would cure a lot of problems, or I guess I could always end up moving the jack. As you can see it's all up in the air right now. Also, I assume each sub comes with specifications for airspace requirements? I think the compartment would suffice, and it would be another unique feature in a truck equipped with the greatest head unit on the planet.

THE SPEAKERS - I'm not really loyal to a certain brand, but I've been looking mainly at Infinity Kappas. Not any reason, they're just a decent brand, and they've been recommended on Dodge sites. I would be open to any decent brand (Fosgate, Eclipse, MB Quart). I'm not sure that the 3.5's in the dash are absolutely necessary, but I've heard good things about the sound reflecting off of the windshield. I'm not a huge audiophile (I've ripped all my mp3s at 128kbs - BLASPHEMY!!), but I'm going to want to hear quality music after dishing out the cash.

THE AMP - Would a five channel be sufficient in this situation? As soon as I mentioned a sub to a Circuit City employee, he recommended a four channel and a two channel. Maybe that was because they don't sell the fives, or maybe he knew what he was talking about. I don't really have the room to place two amps, and I don't see a second dedicated amp for the sub being necessary. I guess I could go with a four, and wire all the speakers into the front and isolate the sub on the rear.

THE INSTALL - The last install project that I was a part of, dealt with a cassette player, amp, and sub in a 95 Dakota when I was 15 or so. It didn't go so hot, but that was before the INTERNET!!!!! I'm more comfortable now with taking apart my vehicle and messing with the components. I've already taken the dash apart countless times, cleaning stuff, keyless entry install, and correcting an install of a mp3 changer (which by the way I will be selling). I'm comfortable with installing the speakers, sound dampening, and the adapter plates, but I'm not sure I would be the best at rewiring the system. I don't feel like paying for each speaker to be installed when I could do it myself. All the wire will be coming from the amp, so I'm wondering if a pro could do the amp work and the wiring and not charge me an arm and a leg. But, then again, he'll have the truck tore open, so it would be easier if it was all done at the same time. I'm assuming that because all the wires must be ran through the amp, that all of the factory speaker wire will be worthless. I'll probably leave that wiring, as I'm planning on selling the truck eventually with the factory system intact.

I've read through the Installation FAQ's, but I have another. The ISO harness that comes with the Empeg has 6 wires. The connector to the factory system has countless. I know that there will be wires that aren't connected. I'm wondering about the amp turn on output from the Empeg. Does that run directly to the amp, and if so, what is the amp turn on coming from the factory system for? I assume that it is an input to the amp, but it runs to the factory head unit???? There is no factory amp (which by the way, in Infinity systems is behind the glovebox, if you were wondering), so is that wire currently serving a purpose?

If there are any suggestions or warnings, feel free. I'll post pics later for those that are interested.