I agree that the empeg player is not for everyone - or more accurately not everyone will "get it". As far as the catagories listed above I fall in to two of those pretty easy. I am a techie by trade, and a music lover at heart. Listening to music is important enough for me to spend the bucks on this product without thinking twice - and most of the general population will not agree with me there.

I originally was looking for a car head unit that would play CDs in an MP3 format. I figured that I could burn my MP3s on CDs, and only have to carry around 3 or 4 CDs in my car then. I still frowned that I had to swap CDs.. although my 3 or 4 CDs was better than 50 or 100 it was not the -total- solution to my problem.

Then a friend forwarded me to the empeg website. This unit solves my problem 100%. All my music at my fingertips, all the time, no disc swapping. Its also open ended - since its a genuine computer (and not just a radio) think of the possibilities that the future will bring.

My point on wanting the empeg is it solves my need for music moreso than the gadgetry. I once discussed this idea with some friends over a beer - "would you rather loose your sense of sight or your sense of hearing" .. I chose sight. I would rather be able to hear than see, music is that important to me. I couldn't drive my car and listen to the empeg, but I could still sit in the garage and not have to worry if I put the right CD back in the correct case.