I'll tell this tale so others can be forewarned.

I have a Slot-1 board and a Celeron - naturally I got a slocket board. The plan was that someday I'd get a Pentium III or similar that requires a Slot-1, but with the FP-PGA architecture who knows what's happening. Aaaaannyway,

After about three months performance had gradually degraded to the point where I was having to reboot once a day, often having it not POST afterward and requiring a complete power cycle. I sent it back, argued with the store, and eventually they replaced the motherboard and everything was fine again. Except the problems kept coming back. Over three months hangs would become more frequent, and though I'd reinstalled everything and done all sorts of crazy stuff to try and isolate the problem program nothing made sense. I sent it back again, had a larger hassle with them this time (of course, it never seems to show any problems for them...) and eventually got the motherboard replaced again.

Then a couple of chance conversations and little snippets gradually put the pieces in place. The slocket board contacts are tin, and the motherboard's are gold. This causes a electrical difference similar to the way a battery works, and causes the tin to oxidise. Oxidised contacts, bad electrical connection, signal failures and hangs. When they replaced the motherboard the slocket board was reseated and scraped away some of the oxidisation. Since then I've used a pencil eraser to scour the oxidisation off the tin and it's worked fine again.

So either don't get a slocket board or make sure the contacts are the same metal.

Paul

Save the whales. Feed the hungry. Free the mallocs.