Greetings!

No issues, but not quite that high a percentage filled. I am running about 76% capacity at the moment, but that will likely change on June 21 (and sometime again in September). My highest FID file number is 5120x, where x is zero or one, of course. That is just over 20,000 individual FIDs (playlists and tracks). No problems to report yet, except that you do not want to be in a hurry and get caught with a surprise fsck while syncing.

I recommend you get the 80. If you only want to have one physical drive (upgradability, heat, power, CF->IDE bridge), you can always copy the data from your current 30GB onto the 80, leave the 80 in the player and lock up the 30GB as an emergency backup in "off-site storage". But I have not seen anyone (yet) with trouble adding the 80 to another drive on a Mark 2a.

The only issues I have seen are:

Laura's Mark 1 - the builder code does not use the swap space it created, so that the build of a new 80GB player fails for insufficient memory on a Mark 1.

Michael West's Mark 2a - he had a hard drive sync where the fsck would not complete. It was because of duplicate blocks, and the fsck triggered from emplode could not create enough swap to handle the fsck clear of the duplicate block problems. This was the first time I had ever seen a duplicate block issue with fsck, and it looked like it was trying to copy the blocks into physical memory to rebuild. In this case, a manual fsck combined with adding an extra swap space from the root partition was enough to fix the problem.

Edited by pgrzelak (07/06/2003 10:02)