We averaged 100 km/h, including the times we were stopped and sleeping, or out of the car wandering around looking at things

What the hell were you driving, a Dodge Viper or something?

Heh. No... it was a old Mazda. Can't remember the model. My friend had driven it out to the East coast earlier that year, and wanted his car to see both coasts. The car was on its last legs -- the week before we left, he was in a head on collision on the way back from getting his brakes fixed. It was pissing rain, so not his fault. The night before we left, he was in his grandmother's barn trying to straighten the frame. We were prepared to have to fly home from somewhere, but the only mechanical problem we had was a waterpump failure in the middle of the Upper Peninsula on the first day. (Note to all foreign car owners -- Michigan's UP is not a good place to break down). We drove/coasted back into Canada, after an $80 tow.

After digging up the mileage... 15,197.4 Km (9443.5 miles), round-trip from the doors of our old high school in Amherstburg. Each flip of the 1000km trip odometer was dutifully marked down on the back of a Larry Walker baseball card (a prize found in a cereal box).

Okay, the more I look at that 100km/h number, the more I'm sure that can't be right. We originally planned 21 days, but it took less than that... Something tells me that "including" should have been an "excluding". Ah, wait... now I see where I arrived at that 100km/h. It took 15 days, so we averaged 1000 km/day, and we had also averaged 10 hours of driving time per day (including city driving).

*grumble*stupid*grumble*memory*grumble*