That seems like quite a hack to gain some functionality, but not the best functionality. What I want is to hit the "mark" button multiple times, and have different strings come up, and then have the software store which string I settled on. Thus, I'd have "deleet, rerip, add to happy playlist, add to other playlist" and such. All of this is doable in hijack, except that you can't save FID/string ID pairs.

Mark at one point expressed intrest in finding a way for userland apps to write to the disk while in car mode. Though he probably has much better ideas, I suspect the general idea is another dynamic data partition (or file) that has checksumming for every write and reboot, and special calls to write to it without remounting the disks. I have no idea if he ever plans to implement this, and I think it's safe to say it's one thing that only Mark will attempt.

The other option in purseing multiple mark fuctionality outside of the player is to hijack the plays counter. In theory, we know the data format of the dynamic partition, and it's an int that most people don't care too much about. The userland program would have to write the value and checksum, and it would require a kernel hack to disable updating of the plays counter. A nice side benefit of this would be the ability to sort based on how tracks were marked.

Matthew