Why were these the two that were narrowed down to? IMO, there are enough different cars out there that there is likely one that will suit you without having to make too big a sacrifice. But Looks are subjective, and perhaps I wouldn't mind the one you think is ugly (unless it is an Aztec or Element, in which case I can promise I laugh at every one I see).

For example, what was important to me was practicality. Therefore I ended up being the only college student I know who actually chose to drive a minivan But hey, I needed to carry a lot of stuff, and I got to be the default driver for friends (I always prefer to drive than ride).

However, it was mostly because the first car I drove regularly (when I was 16) was an Oldsmobile Silhouette ("the Cadillac of minivans"). I love minivans. My car is infinitely more practical than an SUV, has great pickup (for a 4500 pound car), and a wonderful car-like ride, not to mention I've got a navigation system in there.

I also don't think I went against aesthetics. I like how my vehicle looks. It's attractive to me.

So, I guess this wasn't very helpful, but what is important to me is definitely not going to be the same as everyone else.