I spent a lot of time last year campaiging on the bit rate issue, along with a group of other people, we got a letter from the BBC, admitting that FM was the quality way to listen, but all I achieved was getting the Radio Times to remove the phrase "CD quality".
At the time, I had a nice letter from Gillian Reynolds, after she wrote a "state of radio broadcasting" article without even mentioning DAB, in the Daily Telegraph, and she made a very good point that more people are taking to listening to the radio on their digital satelite dish, than are taking to DAB, and that can only increase with terrestial digital television.
To me, DAB is a dead duck unless Sony and other mass market hi-fi manufacturers take it up. It seems strange that, as far as I know, they've all gone for car HU's and ignored the domestic market.
It also seems to me, that if we accept that DAB is about diversity, not quality, an ordinary tuner just isn't going to hack it. What is needed is a set, portable, but with a hard disk, so that it has all the features of Sky Plus: Record one programme, whilst listening to another; Pause; Rewind; Start listening half way through etc.