Congrats, Loren! So it seems as though you did a straight Mk2->Mk2 replacement rather than upgrading to a 2A knob?

You're going to find, as I did, that the jumpiness of the volume control is not totally the knob's fault. There are times, even with the brand new knob, when it jumps due to CPU/Disk loading on the player. For instance, I'm first booting up the player and it's in the process of filling up the cache, if I try to turn the knob to increase the volume it sometimes jumps more than I want it to because the knob-click events seem (to the lagged player software) to have piled up quickly at the end of the turn instead of slowly spaced out. This makes it think I spun the knob really fast to turn it up fast even though I didn't. I've mentioned this before in other threads, I'm hoping for some kind of software solution that imposes a speed-limit on turning up the volume but not down.

However, the new knob will definitely take care of the biggest part of the problem, so you'll notice a really big improvement.