I wouldn't bother with a radar/laser detector as such personally. I have the Geodesy GPS based detector. My reasoning behind this is that I very rarely nowadays come across mobile Gatsos or coppers with handheld lasers. If I do see a mobile Gatsos or copper with a laser it is in a sensible location/situation where I wouldn't be speeding anyway (tends to be just after a 30 or 40 sign entering a village).

The GPS systems work very well, some of the newer ones also know which cameras are uni-directional (my Geodesy doesn't). I want my detector for when I am on a nice A road that I haven't driven before and I want to dedicate my concerntration to getting round the next corner safely, not spend half my effort looking for grey boxes at the side of the road.

I think the general concesus is that laser detectors are pointless without a laser jammer as well. I don't think that the UK police use hand held radar anymore, it's all laser.

Obviously if you live somewhere were they like mobile Gatsos (like Hampshire which has zero fixed Gatsos) then a radar detector might make more sense.

Down South we don't have many of these "camera vans" operated by civilians. I do wonder if the civilians are quite so "fair" about where the choose to set up these vans ?