I'm not sure. What Lian-Li case is it? My case is not a Lian-Li case. It's an AMS gTower case. I deliberately stayed away from Lian-Li because they almost all (well, the midi tower series anyway) use such a "pull-out" system, with which you can pull your whole backplate out via the back of the case, when your motherboard is still screwed down. (sorry, don't know how else to describe it, but you probably know what I mean). This results in a Lian-Li only using one or two 80mm fans rather than 120mm. I doubt they have the room to mod it for use with 120mm fans.

I must admit that I gathered all my information concerning this from photos I saw of Lian-Li cases. I didn't go and measure up one of those cases IRL. So it might be do-able, but if it would fit, I imagine it would be *really* tight.

One place I'm almost 100% sure you CAN mod a hole into is in the top of the case. This helps extremely well to pull the hot air out, as hot air rises anyway.

Concerning the Vantec fans, I happen to agree with you. Considering all the trouble I went through to actually lay my hands on them (they weren't available in Belgium at the time), I now know that they weren't worth it. They do the job for now, but if I had to make a new choice at this time I would definitely go for Pabst fans, or maybe Enermax.