Empire the Empeg IrDA listener for Palantir would do this with little modification. Basically it just listens for OBEX objects, or files, that have a filename of palantir*.empeg. If the file does not match this pattern, it does nothing, but you could put in an else statement (on line 112) that would write the file out to a directory. Windows 2000 and I think XP come with OBEX built in, and there are OpenOBEX demo programs that beam files from Linux, so no additional software needed on the laptop. Post here when you've got your piece coded.

Additionally, when you use irattach, the kernel recognizes the IrDA port as a network device, and it even shows up in the player's About screen as having a MAC address, but no IP address.

Using the IrDA port of the Empeg for more than short amounts of time would be a major pain, unless you had some sort of mount to keep the device line-of-sight. I've detailed how I got a telnet program running over the IrDA port earlier on this BBS, but it was just too impractical to use. IrDA is good for something like Palantir, syncing your Palm device, or transferring short amounts of data, not as a wired ethernet replacement.