I assume the boiler has a balanced flu (sp?) outside.

Yeah, there's a flue on the outside wall of the flat. Exhaust gas isn't going to be a problem.

Cooling shouldn't be a problem, either. There's actually more room around the boiler itself. It's just that the units are larger and the gap between them is smaller.

I can't move the units on the inside wall -- they're as tightly packed as they'll go. I can't move the sink unit along the outside wall any further -- it sits right up against the gas meter as it is.

If I ever find the monkeys who put this kitchen, I'm going to slap them silly. A couple of points:

1. There are 3 (three!) separate gas pipes into the kitchen, all capped off. Two of them come up through the floor near the wall (the one with the cupboards on), but they're not close enough to the wall to ignore -- so I've got to put a 1.75" spacer behind the units and somehow fill out the gap this'll leave behind the worktop. Neither are they low enough that they can be put under the units. The fitter can't do anything with them, either. On the plus side, he can use one of them to feed the gas hob, once I've installed it in the worktop. The other gas pipe is on one of the internal walls, and comes out horizontally. Fortunately, we're not planning on putting anything there, but it'll be ugly. The boiler is hooked to a fourth gas pipe.

2. The gas meter is nowhere near any of the existing gas piping. It all goes under the concrete floor, meaning that we can't do anything with it without ripping up the floor.

3. Before the plumber ripped it out, there was a veritable jungle of water piping under the sink. It was a double sink, which meant two waste traps, and two sets of waste pipe. The waste piping had any number (well, one, but why ruin a good rant?) of spurs on it, which were no longer being used. The waste hose from the washing machine was simply jammed into the pipe, without any kind of non-return valve or jubilee clip.

4. Fortunately, the double sink had only one mixer tap, so the vertical pipes you see in the photo were pretty much as you see there. Even here, there was a random unused spur on the cold feed. The plumber ripped it all out and fitted a fresh pair of pipes above a pair of new stopcocks (out of shot at the bottom of the picture), so that we can still have the water turned on while I get around to getting the sink fitted.

5. Oh, and when we took the plinth off the original sink unit, it still had wood shavings under there, from, like, 1960 or something.