Well then, I finally got a decent car. So it's time to put the empeg in.

I've added a new album in my RioCar.org gallery to chronicle the installation.

I've already run the cabling in (apart from the power cable, which needs a hole drilling in the bulkhead), I've tested the empeg and everything seems fine, there are a few points though:
  • The battery icon is coming on when the unit powers up. I'm considering running a dedicated cable from the battery (via a fuse) to power the unit directly. I'm assuming the memory wire is the one that draws the bulk of the power? Otherwise I'll have to run both off the battery.
  • I have a steering wheel adaptor from Autoleads which after initial testing, seems to work. Some of the buttons however do not always work. After trawling the board I've seen that other people have had this problem. The common fix seems to be changing the power source (it's currently fed from the tuner power supply, i've also tried it on the switched ignition feed but got the same results). Maybe tap it off the battery again?

Anyway, the tuner works a treat, managed to pull in all sorts of stations, even some usually marginal ones. Also noticed that Radio Text is appearing quicker than before.

Also, the steering wheel adaptor includes a driver for the remote display, the display can then be driven via a Sony uni-link capable CD changer. GNUnilink anyone?

Andy M