I could be wrong (in fact, I usually am about such things), but it seems that Apple is repeating a past mistake with the iPod and their DRM. Sure they are the market leader right now, but they’re keeping their DRM system to themselves and not opening their file format up to competition. If they persist in this I think people will gradually become more comfortable with WMA because it is useful on more players (though clearly not EVERY player).

Apple seems to be the monkey who can’t get his hand out of the jar because he won’t let go of the apple. Sure they’re enjoying a lot of popularity now, but people don’t like to be routed into only being able to use one product (M$ Windows notwithstanding). It’s going to be a while before they are really challenged though when newscaster are saying things like “if there is anything computer geeks agree on, it’s that the iPod is the one indispensable gadget every geek must have.”