Quote:

That's a lot of FIDs. Do you have a lot of small files?

Nope. I have about 3000 or so mp3s, and not too many playlists. Note, those were decimal FID numbers I gave, not hexadecimal ones (as they are stored in the file system).

Quote:

An interesting test might be to reset your counts to zero (perhaps you can copy the data temporarily using dd to a file on a different partition) and try playing a series of low numbered FIDs. Check to see if it is updating. Then play one very high numbered FID and then a sequence of low ones again. This would check to see if a high FID is blocking future dynamic data updates.

Nice idea, but is it really necessary to reset the counts to zero first? I had a go playing a series of low (<1000) FIDs and then mixed in a a few high (>60000) FIDs tracks into the playlist, and checked to see whether the play counts had updated correctly. Every song had been updated correctly, both the high-FID tracks and the low-FID tracks that followed the high ones. I'd be surprised if that was really the problem. I wonder if it's an intermittent hard disc problem?

Ross