Hi

I did some programming on the SDAL format, as a result of receiving the book. It is a difficult and complex binary format. BUT: They have thought about it, and build a working navigation system with it. The format is "FREELY" available (www.sdalformat.org). The databases are optimized for size and speed of handling. (benelux 300MB (detailed), europe 180MB (low detail).).

I am willing to donate my code to opensource navigation projects. I do not have enough time to enhance this code.

In my point of view SDAL is a very good start for a navigation system, mostly because there is proof that this can work.

I would like to see converters from GDF to SDAL (and back). and from eg. CARINDB to GDF. With these tools one can convert his Carin databases to one uniform format (SDAL).
Another approach could be write independent database access routines for SDAL and Carin databases. It is absolutely necessary that one can use the most actual databases for his area.

Prices for navigation databases are less than hfl 400 (euro 180) for most european countries.

ad franse

interested in board computers