Go sign up for the services then. See how you like it.. let alone having to go without a choice.

It appears that you've completely missed the nuances of my arguments. I wouldn't like it. Nor would many people. That's the point. When the entire voting public is suddenly at risk of being sent to war or of having their loved ones sent to war you will see a less cavalier attitude to war coming from the smirking CIC, or a less smirking CIC to begin with.
And about those who signed up for domestic duty.. they knew when they signed up that there was a chance they could possibly be sent out in the case of a war.

Oh, I have no problem with the Reserves being sent. Firstly they are a federal branch, and secondly their whole raison d'etre is to be called up in times of need.

The National Guard however, are under State control, or so I thought. Are they not, in fact, some of those 'well organisied militia' (s) that the Constitutions touts? I don't think that they were ever intended to be posted abroad to fight wars, and that some big federal vacuum has sucked them in inappropriately.

If you're going to talk about choice then consider this. Where will all the people who are willing to serve their country, albeit with some conditions and limitations, choose to sign up? Those single parents, those with ailing parents, or those with other commitments at home that would prevent full service.
I don't think that they will anymore. POTUS and his administration have polarised the issue too much, "You're either with us or against us" in action. They've made it painstakingly clear that there is no room for such people in any branch of the armed services.