Done. Please let me know if you need the attachment for other vendors. The email is below. I've removed the email address in the event that spam crawlers are visiting the board. PM me if you would like it.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, June 23, 2004 4:50 AM
To: 'Kathy Stewart'
Subject: Empeg translucent button request

Hello Kathy,

Thank you for the prompt reply. The specifications for the project are below and pictures are attached. I have attempted to provide sufficient information about the project. Please let me know if you need additional details. Thank you very much for your time regarding this request.

Best Regards,

Alvin Barber

Project Synopsis

Background
In 2001, SonicBlue/Rio discontinued the Empeg/Rio Car car stereo which is a removable hard drive based music player for the car. After remaining stock were sold, about 4000 units total are in circulation. The players are still collected and a virtual owner community exists at http://empeg.comms.net. The player is controlled via 4 buttons and a knob (please see the player.jpg picture). A user can change the color of the player's display by inserting a different colored lens made from 1/16" acrylic. Some owners have modified their players by adding lights behind the buttons and knob to illuminate them. The light modification is only apparent when translucent buttons and a knob are used. Owners have made translucent buttons to match the existing plastic lens colors but never in sufficient quantity to satisfy the demand from other owners.

Scope
The program involves casting the 4 buttons and 2 knobs for the player as one set. (A single player only has one knob but 2 player configurations were manufactured.) The overall program size is estimated to be 200-300 sets of 5 translucent colors or in other words, 40-60 sets of each color. The colors are Red, Blue, Green, Amber, and Smoke to match the original lens colors. (please see the illuminated player.jpg picture) A larger quantity and variety of colors is possible depending on the cost and limitations of the casting process. For the purpose of quotation, please quote on the 200-300 set quantity and 5 colors but include the relative cost impact for additional colors or quantity.

The original pieces were injection molded but the mold is no longer available. From the attached pictures, you will note that the pieces are hollow. This hollow space will need to be filled to ensure uniform light diffusion through the buttons. Past efforts at casting the pieces have used urethane/silicone molds and a 2 part resin but quality control and repeatability were poor. I am curious to know if RIM injection would be appropriate for this type of project? If not, can you please explain what casting and molding process would be used including the materials. It may be possible to supply the original pieces in quantity. Please advise on what the optimal number would be. Also it would be helpful to know if susbsequent runs would be possible and what the associated costs would be.

Based on past experiences, it is expected that several prototypes would need to be done to match colors correctly. Can you explain how your company has handled projects of this type before and what is the typical process for corrections, quality control issues, and final signoff? Quality control issues of particular concern are clarity, uniform color dispersion, correct fit, uniform light diffusion, free of bubbles or other visbile defect, and correct size when compared to the original pieces.

As to timing, the nature of the project does not warrant a rush or expediated status. September, 2004 or before would be the desired delivery date for the pieces in the requested quantity and colors.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, June 22, 2004 7:51 PM
To: Alvin Barber
Subject: Re: Quotation for a short run casting

Alvin~
Certainly we can quote on your project. That is one of the program sizes we work with. We look forward to hearing from you.

Kathy

Kathy Stewart
Matrix Enterprises
www.matrixenterprises.com
12310 Stowe Dr Ste B
Poway, CA 92064
858.391.2828/voice
888.843.8998/toll free
858.391.2827/fax