I know it has been mentioned that the empeg doesn't have enough memory to run server software for a Rio Receiver, but this post by biscuitsjam got me thinking:

In reply to:

"Another annoyance is that the server software doesn't like UNC paths. The server must be on the same machine where the music files exist. If your music is dispersed on multiple computers, you're out of luck. If you publish music files on the network via a shared folder, the server should map a drive letter to the shared folder. Playlists must use the drive letter instead of UNC names. For example, use m:\REM\losing_my_religion.mp3 instead of \\jukebox\REM\losing_my_religion.mp3"

This is just wrong. The Rio Receiver CAN play music from remote network hosts without mapping the drives. This is what I am currently doing. (I am under the impression that this generates 2x the network traffic though)

With Hijack (maybe a later version that allows this if not a feature already) on the empeg, connect the empeg to a PC as either a path or a network drive. Then, create m3u files on the PC that point to mp3's (fids) on the empeg. Finally, install and run the server software on the PC and connect the Reciever to the LAN. Basically, use the files on the empeg, but run the server on a seperate machine. I realize it wouldn't be a plug-and-play solution, but it should work shouldn't it? The id3 tags would have to be updated too...

Would this work? Sorry if this has been brought up before.