I'm debugging an issue on one of Paul's players where occassionally it throws a wobbly and starts doing erratic things. One failure mode is repeatedly switching between Player and Auxillary every 2 seconds. Another is fast-forwarding through tracks. Both modes are as if the player has received a button down code (IR_RIO_SOURCE_PRESSED or IR_RIGHT_BUTTON_PRESSED) without receiving the corresponding button up.

Paul has indicated that this player has suffered from the problem for a long time. In looking at the problem I've discovered the following in /proc/empeg_ir

Quote:
Valid sequences: 0
Repeated sequences: 0
Unfulfilled repeats: 76
Malformed sequences: 3
Spurious transitions: 412
Missed interrupts: 94808
Timings buffer hwm: 64

This is after about 20-21 hours of uptime (Stupidly forgot to check that before rebooting). Missed interrupts are occuring at an average rate of about 75 per minute, and I think that this is the root cause of the problem. Note that the missed interrupts are not regular like clockwork, the actual rate does vary - one minute may have 78 misses, the next 60, and the next 85.

My player which doesn't suffer from this problem had the following after 10 minutes;

Quote:
Valid sequences: 0
Repeated sequences: 0
Unfulfilled repeats: 0
Malformed sequences: 0
Spurious transitions: 0
Missed interrupts: 0
Timings buffer hwm: 12

Does anyone know what could be causing a missed IR interrupt? I suspect that this is a hardware fault, hopefully a cold solder joint that could be touched up, but I'm not sure where. Any pointers?