Quote:
but we're afraid that if we hire "just anyone" to do it, we'll get back a steaming pile of dung.

I'm in charge of the steaming pile of dung here, and the list of things I have had dropped on the To-Do list is in the same ballpark as what you are looking to do. Publications/bibliography on line, automatic generation of CVs from a database, a library catalog, things like that along with much improved self-pub/blogging.

Ten at a time, I brought up every entry on http://www.cmsmatrix.org/ and scanned for those that met some basic criteria: Apache, PHP, LDAP capability and free/cheap. I narrowed the field to 10 and have installed just about every one. I am currenty leaning toward Mambo.

Now to the point of my post: One feature on the list of desirables is the ability to "time shift" our intranet in some areas -- pick a certain date and be able to see what particular version of a changeable policy was in effect on that date (like degree requirements)

Any bright ideas on how to implement this? Several of the CMSes include some degree of versioning, but I'm not aware that they would do this. PostgreSQL includes a "time-travel" feature but I think any other web time shifting would be DIY.

Anybody?

'Tis the exceptional fellow who lies awake at night thinking of his successes.