Although I cringe whenever I see car stereos with echo and reverb effects built-in (such stuff can only make the noisy car environment ever noisier), I agree that the ability to add audio plug-ins would be awesome.

There was a point in time when I thought that the already-planned plug-in architecture was supposed to encompass more than just visuals-- that all sorts of cool stuff could be implemented via plug-ins. I got the impression that the plug-in architecture would be flexible enough to allow RJLov to write his volume adjustment feature as a plug-in.

I don't know if this is really what they're planning or not, but it makes sense from the user's perspective. Any words on this, Hugo?

And in a related note: As I was driving home from dinner tonight, I was thinking that another thing which would be cool would be to have a scripting or "macro" language where you could load scripts via Emplode and trigger them via the UI and the remote control. If the plug-in architecture is really as all-encompassing as I'm hoping, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to throw a few shells around the APIs, add a simple parser with some really basic if-then and loop capabilities, and bingo, you've got a scripting language. Okay, I know I'm dreaming...