Quote:
So, was the encryption already hacked-out?

Yes, read through this thread to see all that the superpatch (which is part of the 4.x+ RID Installation Guide Rob linked to) does. Here's the main thrust of it:

This script will enable the HMO (Home Media Option) which enables Music and Photos, enables Multiroom Viewing (MRV), decrypts all HMO/MRV network traffic, disables the daily nag screen when your box hasn't connected to the service for more than 30 days, sets your tivo to record all future shows unscrambled using NoCSO, and other various stuff, including applying the 30-second skip, NoPPV(record scheduled), Parental Controls (Off after reboot) and VWait Speedup(cpu utilization reduction) patches to all known 4.x tivoapps.

Quote:
Without getting into the specifics (that are already in the guide) what was the basic order of your hack process? Did you just do 4.x and TivoWeb? Or were there others?

Here's the shortlist of what I did:

NOTE: this is all on a Hughes HDVR2 DirecTivo.

1. Used part of the Hinsdale Guide to backup my already expanded two drive DTivo (stock 40GB A drive + upgraded 160GB B drive) to one backup file (no shows).

2. Followed the 4.x+ RID Installation Guide, which installs the 4.0.1b system, LBA48 Kernal (for large drive support) and tons of other patches you'd wanna install anyway. I did this on my 160 GB drive, thus making it the A drive since the 4.0.1b image wouldn't expand fully on the 40GB drive. I put the 40 GB drive aside.

3. added crond as outlined in this post to run the fakecall script to avoid the nag screen you get if your Tivo doesn't dial out ever so often.

4. Then I enabled the backdoors stuff (lets you see drive space used etc) like so:
Code:

mount -o remount,rw /
cd /hacks
cp /tvbin/tivoapp tivoapp
echo -ne "\x24\x05\x00\x01" | dd conv=notrunc of=tivoapp bs=1 seek=5401464
cp /tvbin/tivoapp tivoapp.bak
mv tivoapp /tvbin/tivoapp
mount -o remount,ro /

5. Installed TivoWebPlus 1.1 (i did 1.0 first on accident because I didn't know 1.1 existed, which fixes plenty of bugs) as is outlined in the readme that comes with it. Very simple install. There are modules that add features to it that are just .tcl scripts placed in the modules directory under TWP's install dir.

6. I also futzed around with MFS_FTP, which is an extraction method that basically runs an FTP server, as outlined at the top of this thread. I've got it working but apparently there are other methods... it's seems like a divided camp on which is better. I think Tytool is the other method. There may be others.

7. Used the Hinsdale guide again and made a new backup of all the stuff I'd done thus far. So now I have a backup of the original unhacked setup and another of the hacked setup. Then I used step 10 of the guide to add the 40 GB drive as the B drive. All worked well and i'm at 200 hrs.

Here are some helpful things to know if you use this hack method:

* After you get a prompt, to make changes to files and upload you need to mount root RW (just like the good ol' empeg!). Here are the mount unmount commands:

Code:
mount -o remount,rw / 

mount -o remount,ro /

* All startup commands go in the rc.sysinit.author file which is in /etc/rc.d/

* With this setup, you can put all your hacks in the /hacks/ dir. The old method seems to be to put everything in /var/hack.

If I think of anything else I'll add it to the end.