Quote:
So don't vote in the primaries. [...] Vote in the general election.

I have an interesting/disturbing story here.

I live in a state with an open primary.
When I went to the polling place this year, they asked me if I wanted a Democrat, Republican, or Independent ballot. According to my voter manual, it doesn't matter what party you declare yourself, you can request any of the ballots with only one restriction.

That restriction was: you may not vote for state party chairman and things of that nature. Seems reasonable enough if you're not a member of that party, no?

But here's the hitch. We have gone to eVoting.
And my ballot allowed me to vote for ALL the positions, including the ones I was supposed to be blocked from voting. So I did the ethical thing and made no selection in those races and then mentioned this oversight to the poll worker so that he could report it. His response was "well you've already voted it, nothing we can do about it, give me your 'ballot'" (The 'ballot' is just a little credit card thing.)

I expected at least that he would offer to invalidate the ballot and offer me a properly configured one. No dice.

Of course, he might have been feeling lazy, since I had already returned once to get a partisan ballot after discovering that the "independent" ballot didn't really let me vote for _anything_.

I guess in the scope of things this was pretty minor, considering all the really terrible things which are bound to happen eventually with no-paper-trail eVoting.

Still makes me mad that we are pushing ahead with this electronic voting thing over the strenuous protests of those who have voiced many legitimate concerns which have yet to be addressed.