I only wish I had run into Alex before spending the money on extending the display. Once the display is converted to composite video, then you can do all sorts of things with it.

Slow down for a second. I don't think anyone said they could convert the display directly into composite video. IIRC, what is planned is to take the ASCII song title data output from the serial port, feed that into a video title generator circuit, then take the output of the title generator as composite video. Even that isn't fully formed yet since the player software doesn't yet output that kind of detailed information on the serial port.

This is a far cry from being able to see the Empeg's actual display and remotely control it. Looks to me like you have a working solution already finished, so don't kick yourself for having done the work you've done so far.

Finally, note that your problem with the Kenwood remote will be solved when Empeg has their own custom remotes available. These use a command-set that's unique to the Empeg and will coexist peacefully with your Kenwood head unit.