Rousing, continuous round of applause.

My sentiments exactly. I know of a couple of people here who will frown a little when I say this, however - but they are motivated people who enjoy doing what they do.

It's not just the gaming industry - it's software development in general. It's something I've had to put up with for years - the "unspoken rule" culture. I was always pushed into longer and longer days, getting diminishing returns, when all I wanted to do was go home and see my kids.

I cannot understand how a 60 to 90 hour working week (even when it's critical) can do any good whatsoever. If you are tired and unable to think or make clear decisions, you make mistakes which have to be re-worked later on, at high cost to yourself or someone else. It's totally self-defeating - no wonder the greater majority of software on this planet is such utter S**** (capitalised).

To me, long hours show a defective management culture without an ability to spend sufficient money (on manpower or tools), or plan, or utilise resources effectively. The best solution is, leave the company as rapidly as you are able and ignore the jibes. Otherwise, YOU might end up divorced without your kids.

I hate all that software development has become in the last few years. How can software engineering continue as a discipline if your end product re-coups no income? I know of no other product that is simply given away free (gross oversimplification). I am no longer motivated by, or interested in, software development. It's no longer an interesting journey - it's tilling at your oar in the slave's galley to the crack of the whip and the monotonous cry of "Deadline! Deadline!" in your ears. What a way to live.

Shoot all the f***** managers, I say.
One of the few remaining Mk1 owners... #00015