I've just moved my standard-def DirecTivo to the Kid's room. (The reason I don't need it in the livingroom any more will be covered in another thread shortly.)

Elsewhere on the BBS, I kept remembering how people said "Well, I've never had my unit hooked up to the phone line and it's been just fine thank you. The only thing you lose is being able to do payperview."

So I figured, I don't want the kid doing payperview anyhow, so I don't need to run a phone wire into her room. It was tough enough doing the pair of RG6 cables, I'd prefer not to climb under the house again.

But two things make me suspicious about leaving it this way.

1. The Tivo whines at me (messages appear in the mailbox) if it can't make its daily call.

2. I asked about it during a phone call to DirecTV and they said "The PVR service absolutely requires the phone line." This is in direct contradiction to what I remember reading here on the BBS. I was just talking to a sales flunkie, so I don't put a huge amount of weight on his words, but it's giving me a slight nagging doubt.

So can anyone settle this for sure? My kid needs full PVR functionality, and a definitive answer to this will decide whether I get all scratched and dirty from crawling under the house again.