TiVo is far behind in the cable arena though. 2006 for Cable-card? Digeo's Moxi already does so much TiVo doesn't. By 2006 you'll likely see Moxi on some boxes from every major cable-co. They're already in Motorola and Scientific Atlanta boxes (likely the two most popular brands along with GI as a third) What Moxi needs sorely is a DirecTV-style guide. And that's coming so I've been told.

On the DirecTV front, you can expect TiVo to be dropped like a hot potato when the contract runs out. DTV's obligation to its customers can be fulfilled by replacing their units with an NDS box - which is also a LOT more advanced than TiVo's current boxes.

I love TiVo. They'll have some things that just aren't the same elsewhere, but it's not an empeg-to-others comparison. Some of these other companies "get-it" a lot bettter than TiVo does.

TiVo hasn't been able to market themselves effectively and their subscription model is going to really seem like a crummy deal soon. I don't know if they have the marketing savvy to really go the distance. It looks like it will have to be a pure retail product. But it will have to change a lot from its current incarnation to have any chance against all the offerings you'll be able to get from your TV providers.

I haven't checked out the DishNet booth to see if they have any new deals coming. Moxi is will continue to be exclusive to cable and I don't know if the NDS box will be making a DishNet appearance...

Bruno