thought id post this here

my friend was putting my empeg into his truck (i had two, so we had installed one sled in his truck) and he accidentally dropped it 5 feet to the asphalt. he then bought it from me, but thats an aside.

the immediate damage, aside from the akward silence during the drive to lunch after i asked if he 'threw my empeg?!', was that the hdd was not found. no biggie, i took it apart and reseated the cable. worked fine. fast forward a few months. today, again on the way to lunch, he puts it (now his empeg) into his truck, and gets a no hdd found. i pull the top and it appears that the cable has loosened itself a bit. just one half of the cable was loose. the header pins on the side opposite the display board were exposed a bit. i take it to him and ask if he can spot the problem. after we look at it some more, i take it down the hall to throw it under a cool microscope thing. here is what we discovered.

that will get repaired in the future, but i just wanted to point out that the solder contacts are not broken. and there are obvious signs of stress having been applied to the header.