Quote:
if I ate at any restaurant three times a day for a month I'd probably gain a lot of weight and/or get sick from it.

Is it your hypothesis, then, that all restaurants serve bad-for-you food? Or that three times a day is too much? Or that restaurants serve too much food? Or all of the above?

Obviously McDonald's is bad for you. At the same time, why? The ingredients, on the surface, don't seem to be that bad. Assuming you're talking about Big Macs (I haven't seen the film), iit's two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun. So, okay, beef isn't that great for you, but, let's face it, you're not getting much beef on a fast food burger. Then there's the cheese, which I'm sure is American "cheese" or something like it, which isn't that good for you, but, again, it's not all that much. And the bun, I'm sure, is so white that there's not much nutritional value. And the lettuce is cheap Iceberg lettuce, I'm sure, so there's not much of anything there. Oh, the special sauce. That's probably mostly mayonnaise, so lots of fat. But vegetable fat, probably, which isn't all that bad for you, especially when it's not been hydrogenated or overheated. That leaves the fries and the soda. The fat in the fries is going to be really bad. I'm sure it's vegetable fat, but it's almost definitely been overheated, so it's probably become a trans fat, which is likely to be worse for you than animal fat. And then the soda is basically pure sugar. Which isn't that bad for you until you consume it in those massive quantities.

I'd bet that there are two things at fault. One, simply too many calories. This is probably exacerbated by him accepting super-sizes when offered. Two, all the trans fat in those fries. Of course, probably less so for him, since he was eating, likely, whether he really felt like it or not. (One of the problems with trans fats are that they don't activate the receptors that tell your body that its satiated like normal fats do.)

I'd argue that virtually every restaurant in the US has oversized portions, and I think that that has a lot to do with our collective obesity, especially when you add on that admonition that all of our mothers gave us: "Eat all your food. There are children starving in China, you know."