Yeah, Ive thought of this many, many times. I'm just not willing to ditch my steering wheel controls, and the factory system in this car isn't all that bad ("Infinity Gold"... yes, I know its still junk).

Plus, since I hacked my dash to remote-mount my climate conrtols and make a perfect DIN slot for the empeg, it looks factory with the stock 1.5DIN stereo above (in matching VFD I might add).

I've thought about making the Empeg the only stereo too, but it won't boot below about 20F, and around here that is a problem. I need my radio in the AM (NPR). Funny, though, the original 10GB drive would boot down to -10F or even lower.

Upon looking up the specs for FM transmission, it appears that under IDEAL situations its roughly 40-15Khz, and not all that flat either, nor all that much channel seperation. Which explains a lot. A tape is pretty close to 20-20Khz when you are using a tape adaptor rather than magnetic tape, and a lot more linear. (heck, even good type IV metal tape is better than FM apparently)

Edited by jbrinkerhoff (31/01/2005 18:31)