Quote:
My TMobile service will roam onto AT&T/Cingular when it can if no T-Mobile towers are around.

T-Mobile and Cingular at one point started a company called GSM Factory (aka GSM Facilities) together. This entity put up towers and T-Mobile and Cingular paid into it based on percentage used per area or tower (I don't recall all the details). I know these shared towers were put up in at least NY-metro, Nevada, and parts of California. I cannot find a website for GSM Factory, but there is more info on how it work on HoFo which is where I heard about it.

I have one of the new 64k SIMs from Cingular which is post-ATT buyout and is supposed to prefer Cingular and ATT towers. However, at work my phone prefers to be on a T-Mobile tower with 2 bars of reception rather than the ATT tower with 4 bars. I guess this is one of those towers since I do work in the NY-metro area. At my house, my phone prefers to live on CellOne's GSM 850 towers which is a roaming agreement ATT had. Around my town where there is spotty T-Mobile service (spotty T-Mobile service = the norm), my phone still prefers CellOne.