Quote:
Wait a minute. You owned an empeg, you should know all this already. Was this post a deliberate troll?

No trolling, just trying to see if the marketplace has come up with anything close in the last couple of years. I got my RIO religion Feb 2002, right when they were flushing out all the remaining units. I thought I got pretty lucky with the price ($499 for 60GB, $399 for 30GB, a friend and I bought 3).

I didn't go into all the sell-able features of the RIO because I thought that would be redundant and not a great read for the forums. So yes, I knew all of that already so that's why I asked -- what's out there now that has these main features?

Part of me thinks "empeg was the best and will always be the best" in the way I would think of my TI-994A or Perl 4.036. But reality dictates that while it may have been the best, it shouldn't always be the best, and especially in areas such as technology, you'd think (like the other part of me) that there's just way too much sense in the empeg for someone not to have improved on it and made it more sellable.

It's even seems more likely (to the other part of me) now that mp3's and ripping and the digital domain has really gotten ahold of the masses with 20-30GB portables, ipods, napster, etc.

Your reply is very useful because it tells me that in the areas I care about, you know of nothing out there that meets those needs. That points me to researching a replacement. I suppose my next steps are to focus on trying to get lucky again.

Any comments from people on the chances of me finding a replacement unit?

Oh, and...
Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to rub salt on an open wound. I am sorry for your loss. But please PLEASE people: Pull out your empegs! Don't let this happen to you!

Yes, I do [crap... DID] pull the empeg out every day at work. I'm not religious about it though, and I was out [not home or work] and if I was smart[er] I would have pulled it out and put it under the seat at least. So I recommend to all of you to at least do that.