Quote:
But I like the simplicity of "install the empeg .upgrade file, then install hijack" and you're done.

I really depend on having that simple webserver that's already in there. It's just so nice as it is, even though it's limited.

Is there some way we can do both?

Oh.. important point here: I hope to have the new distro install in the same footprint as the existing empeg stuff, without the need to repartition anything.

This new distro would ideally get packaged (by me) as a .upgrade file, with everything necessary included. Just apply the .upgrade (over serial or ethernet), and you're done: now running the new distro, new kernel, new webserver, etc..

And one can still apply further .upgrade files to revert back or forward after that.

This distro would obsolete the current player .upgrade files -- we'll need a simple tool to take those and repackage them inside the new distro, and an independent tool to simply install a new player package onto an existing installation over HTTP/FTP.

The possibilities are almost limitless, and it is all rather simple to accomplish.