Quote:
Quote:
Isn't he talking about Bash in the empeg developer build? So who does he report it to?

He didn't say which shell, or platform.

But if it is the player build, then.. no point in reporting it, unless he can also get it to do it on a more modern machine!

'He' didn't indicate where this problem was occurring - sorry. I was convinced I had stated this was a script running on the empeg. Anyway, that's where it is and of course it's bash.

The modified code that Mark (Lord) posted probably does work, but it's not what I need. I want to check that the penultimate char is a period, but Mark's code checks the second char. The reason I use '0-1' is that I have found in the past that bash will not accept a negative value when you want to represent that no. of chars from the end of the string, BUT if you use that calculation it does work and indeed that appeared to be the case on the empeg. But as I then discovered, it works when you use the code on the command line, but causes this error when used in a script.

On my RedHat machine I have used these constructs without any problem (once I worked around the negative value problem), so it must be to do with the empeg's bash.

From what you all say it would appear that there's no way around this so I just have to modufy the code and my requirements to work around it. Would that be a fair assessment?