Speakers: Diamond Audio HEX 6.5" components

Almost everything I have heard about Diamond Audio speakers has been very good. The only bad thing I have heard probably won't apply to your installation: In very cold weather (say 20 degrees below zero Fahrenheit and colder) the wires embedded in the speaker cones (sending signal to the tweeter part of a coaxial model) are known to fail.

Sub(s): Possibly Diamond Audio 8" M3's,

If there is any way you can go with 10" speakers rather than 8", you will be very glad that you did. You will probably gain close to an octave lower of usable frequency response, but still retain warmth and tonality that you would lose by going to 12" or larger.

Alternatively, you can put two 8" speakers in a common (sealed) enclosure. I have been told (and am building my new system to incorporate this) that the lowest frequency response will be proportional to the total cone area within the enclosure, so that a pair of 8" speakers (96 square inches) would produce the same low end response as a single subwoofer 11" in diameter, yet retain the tonality and responsiveness of the smaller speakers. One caveat: you can only send monaural signal to the two subs. If each sub is playing a different signal, you will have phase cancellation problems.

I haven't actually seen or heard this in operation, but to me it sounds suspiciously like a free lunch! But I'll be finding out in the next few weeks.

tanstaafl.

"There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch"