OMFG. Worst movie ever. Really. For a Hitchhiker's fan, 0 out of 5. As a movie on its own, 1 out of 5 (that's being kind).

You didn't find Ford was overly American? And just pllain (what's the word) lame?

I don't think it matters if you're a fan or otherwise. There was no humor to get. I didn't laugh at all during the entire one hour and fifty minutes. I cracked only when Zaphod said "Fire."

I saw a few people walk out about 3/4 of the way through. I heard the same people laugh through-out the movie. They must have been 13 or 14 and obviously didnt know the book. On the way out my jaw was hanging and I felt that a little of my soul had been eaten away by this vile piece of garbage. On the drive home I actually felt really sad, that such a beloved story had been treated in this manner. To have the movie dedicated to Douglas (just before the credits at the end) is an insult of the greatest proportions. The movie just doesn't capture any depth of the book - it's barely even a veneer.

I'll tell people to watch it (if they want) only for the sake of having a fist-hand account when telling others how crap it was. I had a very hard time sitting through it. There was simply no story and the acting was extremely sub-par. I wasn't even that impressed with Bill Nighy. And I agree with most English people I've seen make the comment: Stephen Fry didn't make the best Guide.

The trailer, linked at the top of the original thread, is better than the movie in every respect.

And back to the first message of THIS thread. Zaphod... Bad. Just plain bad. The head... The third arm... (Rather the lack there-of). Completely out of character in nearly every respect.

The criitical review linked to in the other thread is spot-on. In fact I thought the author was a little too kind in some respects.

Bruno