I finally got the empeg in the M3 (have to go change my signature now)

So far it's a very very basic install (cost me A$20 for the harness adapter) done basically identically to this one.

Currently I'm using a factory red lense which as you can see matches very well to "BMW amber" at night. It's not quite as good as the camera shot shows though. Unfortunately, the red lense is also about the worst colour during the day and even worse when sunlight gets on it. Something I'll have to live with I guess - a smoke lens would just not look right with all the instruments and buttons lit.

Currently the 4V outputs are wired direct to the factory 10 channel amps inputs - no noise of any consequence. This means it's just not quite loud enough for me. It's so close to loud enough but not quite enough to crank. I only have the front 6 speakers connected (3 way components each side) so once I get the rear 4 factory speakers (2 way components) hooked up it might be just loud enough.

I believe the amp can take up 8V-pp inputs. I'm considering line drivers, but there's no way I could fit them in there behind the sled - I haven't got the tuner in there yet either.

It sounds pretty good - better than I was expecting I think given the generally bad opinion of BMW factory stereos.

I really don't want to go the whole way with a new amp/speakers etc but I might get the bug a bit later.

Some photos (not much to see really)....

CH

Attachments
255487-M3Install.jpg (378 downloads)

#40104192 120Gb (no longer in my E36 M3, won't fit the E46 M3)