Just popped into this thread again today. I'll check the strut tomorrow and let you know - may even post a picture.

Yes, any sunlight makes the red lens useless. I always try to shield it with my hand when I'm flipping tracks. Mostly I just avoid looking at the screen.

About the biggest PITA right now with my install is that I will often have to reseat the empeg after I start my car. What happens is that as soon as I turn the key, the accessory power comes on and the empeg lights up, then as I turn further to kick the starter on, the accessory power goes off until I release the key back to resting position when the car starts. This didn't used to cause a problem at all. And currently sometimes it still comes up fine. Other times I'm left with a blank empeg screen (not even the LED blinks) or (slightly rare) the Can't Find Harddisk message.

Looking into the sled I can see that a single pin is sitting a little further back than the rest. So it might very well be that. But the symptoms are strange. Once this problem happens, unplugging and reseating the empeg gets it to fire up every time. Likewise, if I first start the car, and THEN insert the empeg, there's never a problem. Same goes for just clicking the key to accessory position but not starting the car.

I'm not too enthused about my battery power either though. I'd swear that when I have the music up my headlights flicker a bit (I only noticed this when pulling into my garage at night - couldn't see it on the road).

Bruno