Quote:
Beating the dead horse here.

The original intention of the serial to ATA adapter was to allow the use of 3.5" drives ( that are cheaper, more common, and of larger capacity then 2.5" laptop drives) with the Empeg. This was at a time when the largest laptop drive was about 30 or 40GB, and 80GB 3.5" drives could be had.

With the impending failure of my second drive I'm revisiting this concept, The idea being to pipe the parallel ATA commands over the serial port at 230400bps, maybe even strip out the start and stop bits and just use the port as a shift register like Commodore intended with it's "IEC" interface. with the correct patches applied to the kernel the drive should appear just like another disk, and use the standard Empeg partitions and file system.

Another option I'm considering is to modify my MK2 and sled to have docked Ethernet, this should facilitate connection to a networked hard drive. My only question being would said device support the Empeg file system?

Hmm networked hard drive- maybe iSCSI would be an option for that. That would give the empeg direct access to the networked iSCSI volume, so it could format it and everything no problem. Not sure how you would compile iSCSI support into the kernel though..