In the past, there have been a myriad of threads where people have hypothesized, postulated, and speculated on strategies for having your empeg in your car, parked at your home, and being able to connect to it and sync files to it. This task in and of itself is not difficult, as people have fashioned little metal brackets to allow car-docked ethernet connectivity, ran the ethernet to a bridged access point, and achieved the desired result.

However, I haven't heard from anyone who's gone a step further and elegantly integrated this setup into their car, particularly in terms of providing power in such a way that the wifi AP doesn't empty the battery overnight (or over the course of a few days, as the case may be.)

To put it more succinctly, I'm looking for strategies for how one might wire their empeg and in-car wifi connection such that, when the key is removed, the empeg and wifi stay powered on for a period of time, while they try to detect tha they're at home. After 5 minutes (or whatever,) if they can't get through to the mothership, they power down.

The idea being, when my car pulls into the driveway, it contacts my server, and if it gets through, it initiates an mp3tofid/rsync operation to pull down new music. I would consider this the Holy Grail of painless empeg synchronization.

Extra bonus points for any solution that would allow the mothership to "wake up" the empeg and access point, but with no true "wake on LAN" capabilities, that's probably a steeper hill to climb.

So, any ideas?