Stop the press!

Forget all this hardware business. Reading old posts has made me realize something that should have been driven into my skull already: the empeg can allegedly wake itself up from power-off state to standby! The way I understand it (and I can't test this because my empeg isn't installed in my new vehicle yet) all that needs to be done is to call the EMPEG_POWER_WAKETIME ioctl to tell it to wake up after a certain time. Assuming this works, I could tell it to wake every 4 hours (or whatever.) Once it goes from power off to standby, I can probably break it out of standby by injecting button codes, or some minor kernel hack. At that point, the empeg's amp power line has juice, and that can go to my wireless bridge. Or, that's my hypothesis anyway...

Now, since my install isn't until Saturday, and I can't test this, I'd appreciate it if a brave (and rather bored) soul could put the attached binary on their empeg, put it in a Hijack MENUEXEC entry, and run it while it's in their car. (For me, on AC power in a mlord dock, it powers down the drives briefly, but doesn't turn the empeg off.)

What should happen when you run it is your empeg should (hopefully) power down and then magically power on (into standby mode, I guess) after 15 seconds or so. If it doesn't power down your empeg, then turn your ignition off, and see if the empeg comes on within 15 seconds.

Any takers?

Attachments
259490-powertest (188 downloads)