First off, make sure you eat at Roy's- and when you do get the Chocolate Souffle. This was actually the first piece of marital advice we received from our pastor, and it was on the money.

Looking at their website I see that Roys now has resturants ouside of Hawaii (even in California) so I suppose the experience isn't uniquely Hawaiian anymore, but the chain certainly started there.

Maui is the most touristy Island for sure. If you go there you won't be hunting for stuff to do. The minute you get to your hotel you'll have people right in the lobby with brochures for everything there is to do on the Isalnd wanting to hook you up. This is typical and everywhere you go. They really aren't that pushy, but they are available.

Our strategy was this: we mostly just sat around on the beach and enjoyed the view and weather, however we planned one special thing every day. We didn't Island hop and stayed on Maui the whole time. That worked out pretty well and didn't keep us too busy to enjoy ourselves, and we still didn't do everything that was recommeded to us.

You WON'T want to miss the Luau- it's a greaet experience and the one at the marriott is really well done.

We also did a sunset boat ride/dinner which was OK, but sort of forgettable- a sunset horsback ride, which was REALLY neat given the view and terrain. There was some flower garden we went to that Angel really liked, but it didn't make much of an impression on me (not a big flower guy). There's a long winding drive up around the edge of the island we didn't do and I hear mixed things about whether it is worth it- it's apparently gorgous but takes a long time.

On Maui, at least, all of the hotel beaches are open to everyone, so you don't have to worry about finding a nice beach. At most you'll have to pay for parking.

We paid for an upgrade to a convertable and got a little sunfire- I would HIGHLY recommend this. Cruising around the island with the top down is one of our best memories.

And be prepared to spend some money. Everything is VERY expensive. Even essentials like food and gas. We figured we'd save money buy buying some groceires and cooking some stuff at our hotel (we had a kitchen area)- we spent $250 on what would have normally cost us about $50- yikes!

Hope that helps- I've been three times, but most of this is coming from our Honeymoon. We found the best strategy was not to over book activities and to leave a LOT of room to just lay around and enjoy the beach- but that fits our personalites well.