I was there about 8 years ago so the memories are fading but…
We went straight to Maui. Right off the plane we took the drive to Hana, on the so called “Hana Highway”. Due to fatigue the ride there was just OK, the ride back much better! The town of Hana was great and seemed "authentic" it seems that most people just drive there and then head right back. We stayed for a couple of nights, really peaceful. On the way back we stopped at one of the small “surfer” towns and I had the best Mahi Mahi that I have ever eaten. Damn if you like fresh fish I don't know if Hawaii can be beaten. (Especially true if you like salt water fish as opposed to the fresh water varieties.) I just can't recall the name of the town, but I'm sure there are many such types around the islands.
Our next stop was the Haleakala National Park. We stayed with a friend who was working as a ranger at the top of the volcano which would have been nice, but due to personal problems he was having it wasn't. But there are many hikes that you choose from depending on how much “work” you want to do. There are also bicycle trips to the top of the volcano and back down. If you down want to pedal all the way to the top, you can take a tour that drives you up in a van and then you can just coast all the way down! ;-)

After that we spend the rest of the time in Lahaina, which was a bit too touristy for us. But if you’re not averse to that type of setting it can be fun. We stayed in a hotel/condo, so our “room” was actually someone’s one-room condo. We liked that, although I don’t think that I’d ever want a “condo” like that for myself. Over all I’d say we really enjoyed the Hana side of the island much better. As for picture taking, you can never have enough film, or these days memory (sticks, cards, whatever!). I’ll ask my better half for her memories and fill in some of the details.