Thanks Mark. I stopped in for lunch and noticed this. I'm still trying to sort this out.

Just for clarification, the unit does not have the digital out board.

After the upgrades, the player was "buggy" when first powered up. For instance, pressing the bottom button worked fine, except when holding it down. The visuals wouldn't change. But once I switched visuals via the menu, the long bottom button press DID work. Also, it had trouble waking up out of a standby, but turning the volume knob did bring up the volume display. Still asleep, but the volume "slider" was visible. My timezone wasn't set the same for some reaons either. A few reboots later and it was okay. I thought it was a quirk of the mem install. The memory seemed to pass during the boot process (still running 2.00 however). I noticed that pressing the buttons changed the brightness of the LEDs but I have no clear buttons to really know how much. Is that normal? Total running time about 1 hour.

The next day, I let the player run for 4+ hours. Thank God I was in the room when at some point, the "low battery" icon came on and the player did one of those quick reboots. Then the display faded in and out, it then was in standby mode as far as the screen looked, but I could still hear music. Then the audio glitched for a second or two and the next thing I know, I see smoke coming from the dock! I yanked the power away and let the smoke clear.

Maybe at 4 hours the fan finally came on?

As Mark pointed out, a short would not have taken 4 hours to show up right?