Just wanted to let the group know that I ordered some encoders from Mouser and replaced them in my two MkIIa players today. The part number from Mouser was 688-EC11E15244B2 and the Alps part number was EC11E15244B2. They were $5.61 each plus shipping. The link to the Mouser webpage is below:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?&han...=0&crc=true

Everything went okay with my two replacements, although I'm not sure if I ordered the correct part. I didn't notice this until after the first installation when I was reassembling. I decided to go ahead and do both players, so the issue is not a large one...I just thought I'd report back to the group in case someone else is interested.

The knob didn't want to go on all the way like I thought it should. When I put the old and new encoders side by side, I saw that the new part has a longer shaft (it's approximately 0.25 inches longer).

Because of this, the knob sticks up a little bit more than on the original encoder, and there is a little bit of a gap between the bottom of the knob and the fascia. The new parts work just fine electrically, the volume is now smooth again in both of my units and the pushbutton switch functions okay as well.

I've looked at the Mouser website and tried to see if I ordered the wrong part number, maybe there is one listed that is shorter, etc.? But I didn't see anything that is obviously shorter in their catalog or data sheet...

So be forewarned, Mouser has a replacement that works, but if you're a stickler about the original look of the knob, this isn't an exact replacement.

Does anyone know if the replacement colored knobs that come with the colored button sets are exactly the same size as the original or by some chance would they be a little thicker?

Thanks, Randy

Attachments
268415-encoder.jpg (260 downloads)