So, agreed, we're quickly becoming poor, yet in denial. Moving on:

I've had some big ideas about restoring the glory days of American quality and pride. I recently learned the history of the Adirondacks in upper New York state. Simply: a vast wilderness, reaped as a resource by industrial and capitalistic Americans, than saved from destruction by the realization of its rare natural beauty (and some super shady big-money dealings). It seems that humanity has progressed enough to realize that something is precious *before* it's all gone.

It is time for a revival of American quality. If Americans (and others?) opened their eyes to realize they are consuming crap, maybe they would demand quality. If Americans are so rich, why don't they pay for the luxury of true quality? If American workers can't be bothered to do unskilled slave labor, why don't they engage in quality craftsmanship?

I'm dreaming up schemes to first restore quality to the American household. Why buy a crappy chair that will break (generating waste, necessitating repurchase, etc) when you could buy one in the Ike-era style that's bomb-proof? Why make a house from rot-able, combustible wood when it could be created with the unshakable steel of recycled cars? Why buy cheap plastic household products which wear out and break frustratingly causing inconvenience when they need to be replaced, when you could buy well engineered items that last and last? And why not make all of these quality items in America?

Why don't we buy quality? Because we don't have foresight enough to see past the high price and realize the savings. But if buyers of quality goods could be instilled with pride, exclusivity, and a sense of luxury, I think they'd go for it. (and we'd have to somehow sidestep the disposability of "fashion") And maybe with some shady government tax breaks because the products are created in America thus supporting our economy, they could be offered at less-than-luxury costs.

If only I had the persuasive management skills to (re)start this movement. Maybe it is possible, thanks to the Internet..........